Best Trick, Rider’s Choice Award, and Doubles Competition Added to Event This March 11-13th
Aspen, Colo. (February 24, 2015) – Last season the limits of snowboarding were pushed with the construction of the first-ever side-by-side superpipes, challenging the world’s best snowboarders to re-invent how they look at halfpipe riding. This season those boundaries will be pushed even further with an updated course design incorporating both the massive, side-by-side superpipes as well as additional slopestyle features, making Red Bull Double Pipe one of the largest single snow features ever built to date.
With one of the most unique course designs the sport has seen, this Red Bull Signature Series event was sure to attract some of the top talent in the sport back to Buttermilk in Aspen March 11-13th. Names like Danny Davis, Stale Sandbech, Ben Ferguson, Ayumu Hirano, Scotty James, Arthur Longo, Louie Vito and 10 more athletes will all vie to throw the returning champion of the double pipe, Taylor Gold, from his throne.
“I had a blast at last year's event, it was super fun,” said Taylor Gold, defending Red Bull Double Pipe champ. “I'm really stoked to check out the changes to this year's course. I think we learned a lot from last year, and this year the new features will make the riding even more insane. Can't wait to ride it!”
The week’s schedule and event format is as follows:
Wednesday, March 11 – Competition Day 1
- 12:00pm to 2:00pm MT (Semi-Finals)
- Format: 18 riders jam for a 2-hour session. Judges will rank the top 8 riders based on their total performance in the session. Individual runs will not be scored, but all runs and tricks performed will be taken into consideration during the course of the jam. The top 8 riders advance to the finals.
Thursday, March 12 – Competition Day 2
- 1:00pm to 3:00pm MT (Finals)
- Format: 8 riders start in reverse order from semi-finals (8th through 1st). 3 runs each, all runs are scored (0-100 points, Overall Impression). Final ranking is 1st – 8th, based on single best run score.
Friday, March 13 – Doubles Jam Session
- 12:00am to 2:00pm MT – Doubles Jam Session
- Format: Winning team to be decided by the judges
- 4:00pm MT – Awards
- Doubles Jam Session
- Riders’ Choice - Athletes will vote for their top 3 favorites for Riders’ Choice based on riding throughout the week and the overall winner receives a brand new 2015 Polaris snowmobile.
- Best Trick – Judges decision based on riding throughout the week.
This year Red Bull Double Pipe returns to Buttermilk with a completely new innovative course designed with input from the riders themselves. With a skateboarding mini ramp, afternoon pool parties, BBQ’s, and DJ’s, Red Bull Double Pipe is shaping up to be the perfect ending to the snowboarding competition season with a fun and relaxed vibe in store for competitors and spectators alike. For fans who can’t attend in person, Double Pipe will air as part of the Red Bull Signature Series via livestream March 12th at 11:30am PT/2:30pm ET on redbull.tv, and as a full-length broadcast March 14th at 1pm ET on NBC (check local listings for west coast times).
For updates on Red Bull Double Pipe go to www.redbull.com/doublepipe and check out www.redbull.com/snow for updates on other snowboarding athletes, events and projects in the world of Red Bull. Red Bull TV is available as a pre-installed channel on Samsung Smart TVs and Apple TV, and as a free, downloadable app on Roku, Xbox 360, Amazon Fire TV and Nexus Player devices so viewers can watch Red Bull Double Pipe on the go or from any screen in the house.